U.S. News Rankings
|Ranking score and category|
University of Southern Maine is a public institution that was founded in 1878. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 7,311, its setting is city, and the campus size is 142 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Southern Maine's ranking in the 2013 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities (North), 124. Its in-state tuition and fees are $8,900 (2012-13); out-of-state tuition and fees are $21,260 (2012-13).
|School mission and unique qualities (as provided by the school):|
* The USM Osher Map Library houses a world-class collection of maps and globes.
* USM is committed to the principle that earning a degree is critical to transforming the lives of its students, their families, and the state. Higher learning, of course, has more profound effects than simply earning a credential. However, attaining a degree is one of the most powerful predictors of personal economic advancement, and a region's economic outlook is tied closely to the numbers of its workforce with college degrees.
* USM recognizes its obligation to manage both wisely and prudently the public resources entrusted to its use. The future of this university is predicated on leveraging those resources in the service of higher education's public good. The university also views its responsibilities to conserve and protect environmental resources as an important aspect of that stewardship.
* USM celebrates the importance of learning, research, scholarship, and creative endeavors as integral to its academic enterprise. The university supports the creativity and innovation with which its faculty, students, and staff contribute to the advance of knowledge and the creative economy of central and southern Maine.
* USM recognizes the complexity of our identities and adopts the philosophy that we embrace, include, and accord all groups equitable, political, and social status.
* Strong Division III athletics are a pride of the University, and our scholar athletes distinguish themselves in the sports arena and in the classroom.
|School type||public, coed college|
When applying to University of Southern Maine, it's important to note the application deadline is rolling. Scores for either the ACT or SAT test are due August 1. The application fee at University of Southern Maine is $40. It is less selective, with an acceptance rate of 80.0 percent.
For more information about the tests, essays, interviews, and admissions process, visit the Applying to College knowledge center.
|Fall 2011 acceptance rate||80.0%|
|SAT/ACT scores must be received by||August 1|
The student-faculty ratio at University of Southern Maine is 15:1, and the school has 43.5 percent of its classes with fewer than 20 students. The most popular majors at University of Southern Maine include: Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse; Law; Psychology, General; Speech Communication and Rhetoric; and Teacher Education, Multiple Levels. The average freshman retention rate, an indicator of student satisfaction, is 66.2 percent.
University of Southern Maine has a total undergraduate enrollment of 7,311, with a gender distribution of 44.8 percent male students and 55.2 percent female students. At this school, 13.7 percent of the students live in college-owned, -operated, or -affiliated housing and 86.2 percent of students live off campus. University of Southern Maine is part of the NCAA III athletic conference.
|Student gender distribution|
|Undergraduate men who are members of a fraternity||N/A|
|Undergraduate women who are members of a sorority||N/A|
|Collegiate athletic association||NCAA III|
Campus Info & Services
University of Southern Maine offers a number of student services including nonremedial tutoring, women's center, placement service, health service, and health insurance. University of Southern Maine also offers campus safety and security services like 24-hour foot and vehicle patrols, late night transport/escort service, 24-hour emergency telephones, lighted pathways/sidewalks, and controlled dormitory access (key, security card, etc). Of the students at University of Southern Maine, 47 percent have cars on campus. Alcohol is permitted for students of legal age at University of Southern Maine.
|Students who have cars on campus||47%|
|Health insurance offered||Yes|
|Students required to own/lease a computer||No|
Paying for School
At University of Southern Maine, 88.2 percent of full-time undergraduates receive some kind of need-based financial aid and the average need-based scholarship or grant award is $6,112.
Paying for college doesn't have to be difficult or devastating. Go to the Paying for College knowledge center to get advice on raising cash and reducing costs.
|In-state tuition and fees||$8,900 (2012-13)|
|Out-of-state tuition and fees||$21,260 (2012-13)|
|Room and board||$9,666 (2012-13)|
|Financial aid statistics|
* Overview details based on 2011 data